Saturday, February 28, 2009

Soft Shortbread cookies


Usually shortbread is so hard, I like this recipe because the shortbread comes out nice and soft. The secret is not to overbake it. If you like things soft, always underbake it, that's why Mrs. Field's was so successful. I like it this way.


Ingredients

1 cup cold butter, cubed

2 cups flour

1/2 cup sugar

salt

1 tbsp cold water

1 tsp vanilla


Recipe


  • Mix the ingredients together

  • Knead with your hands

  • Cover in saran wrap

  • Put in fridge for 1 hour

  • Take out of fridge

  • Roll out with rolling pin

  • Cut whatever shape you want

  • Bake 325 for 15 minutes

  • After cools down, spread filling like an oreo, and create a shortbread sandwich!

(I used my apple strudel filling. Note that this is used in so many of my recipes. You can make a batch, and put it in the freezer, and just take out what you need and use in countless dishes)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just made this yesterday. OMG! Best cookies ever! I love it when the dough is a little under baked. Soft cookies rock!!!!

-B

Chef Chong's Leftover Makeovers said...

Thanks for trying out this recipe. You make my day. Hugs from me, Chef Chong.

hemmi said...

self raising flour or plain?

hemmi said...

self raising or plain flour?

Chef Chong's Leftover Makeovers said...

Hi Hemmi. It is all purpose flour, plain flour. Hope you made it successfully to your liking.

WaterBearerSoul said...

MMMM! Delicious! I made with vanilla & lemon extract. Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

Chef Chong's Leftover Makeovers said...

Thank you, WaterBearerSoul.