Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Leftover Mongolian Beef over Fried Rice and Chef Chong's Sambal Bagoong

Ok, here is the funny thing about Mongolian Beef. I never heard of Mongolian Beef in my country, Malaysia. When I got to the States, I was shocked to see the Mongolian Beef is actually beef and brocolli, of cos, with oyster sauce. Anyway, I got this leftover mongolian beef from work as well, Chef Neda made it. She is a wonderful talented Chef I ever met.
About the Chef Chong's Sambal Bagoong, my good friend, Edna Lee wanted me to make it for her BBQ party on the Memorial Day Weekend. So in my head, I said, just shallots and chilli paste is good enough. But then, I wanted to try using the shrimp paste which is Belachan in Malaysia and Bagoong in Phillipines. I mixed it with Mexican Dried Peppers, the mild one. The result was so good, not too spicy but still have the chilli taste of it. Gregg was eating it with grilled corn. What a good idea!

Method:-

Just re-cooked the Leftover Mongolian Beef (any kind of leftover meat dish from Asian restaurants), to reduce the water content. The result is a bit dry, add some pea pods or any other greens you want, to beautify the leftover.

For the Fried Rice, please refer to my other Fried Rice recipes.

For Sambal Bagoong:-
5-6 dried peppers mild (cut into pieces and take the seed out, boil in a hot water for few minutes until soft, then strained)
5-6 shallots
1-2 Jalapeno (take the seed out)
1-2 Tablespoon Bagoong or Belachan (Shrimp paste)
1 teaspoon Sugar
Salt to taste
2-4 Tablespoon cooking oil

Method:-

1. Put these ingredients in a food processor, make into paste.
2. Heat a non-stick deep saucepan with 2-4 Tablespoon cooking oil, at low medium.
3. Add the paste with Bagoong (Belachan) and sugar and cook for about 20-25 min, stir well until the oil turned red. Then add salt to taste. Remember, have to stir constantly, so that the paste won't stick at the bottom of the pan.
4. Once cooked, let it cool off. When serving, add some lemon or lime juice in the paste and mixed well.

No comments: